Family Caregivers Honored During Support Week 2011
The Family Thanksgiving Luncheon was the highlight of the week. Close to 150 patients, caregivers, and staff joined together to give thanks to those who offer their hands and hearts in loving care. A delicious Thanksgiving feast was prepared and graciously served bythe UNC Hospitals Catering Team. CCSP staff and volunteers delivered turkey dinners to patients and caregivers who were unable to leave their hospital room or treatment area.
The spirit of the holiday season was present and all those in attendance felt the joy and comfort of being with others who understand the challenges of living fully while dealing with a cancer diagnosis in the family.
- The Patient and Family Resource Center introduced their new mobile information cart and visited families in the waiting areas throughout the N.C. Cancer Hospital, providing information about CCSP programs.
- UNC Health Sciences Librarian Jean Blackwell accompanied the mobile information cart on Tuesday and researched questions for families related to their cancer care.
- A special pediatric cart filled with fun items, including handcrafted dolls and pillows created by Ulla Blab, visited the pediatric oncology clinic. Young patients were given a chance to select a gift for their brothers and sisters.
- The UNC Hospitals Volunteer Association Coffee and Tea Cart continued spreading good cheer with daily visits to treatment areas.
- Caregivers received relaxing massages on Tuesday and Thursday with massage therapists Dorie Laing and Howard Carter.
- Anna McCullough, UNC’s Nicotine Dependence Program Team, answered questions and provided information on smoking cessation during the ACS Great American Smokeout on Thursday, November 17th.
- Oncology dietitian Mandy Holliday presented "Back to Basics: A Guide to Healthy Eating" and provided recipes for healthy holiday food. A nutrition seminar is held regularly on the third Thursday of each month.