The UNC Cancer Network collaborates with partners across the state to enhance cancer care for all North Carolinians. Projects include:
- Coping with Cancer Annual Symposium for Patients and Providers
- Patient Navigation Programs
- Community Outreach focused on cancer prevention and education
- A Statewide Clinical Trials Network
- Telemedicine programs for provider education
The University Cancer Research Fund's mission is to save lives and reduce suffering from cancer in North Carolina and beyond. The Fund will accomplish this through:
- Discovery: Better understanding the causes and course of cancer;
- Innovation: Using new knowledge to create new and better ways to prevent, find, and treat cancer; and
- Delivery: Improving cancer care, screening, and prevention across the state.
The goal of the Dare County Outreach Program is to link Dare County to the resources of the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, the N.C. Cancer Hospital and other services within the region. The program's main components are the Cancer Outreach Nurse Navigators. The Dare County Outreach Program is a partnership with Dare County, The Outer Banks Hospital, UNC Health Care and the University Cancer Research Fund.
Mission Hospital in Asheville, NC and UNC Health Care are partners in a formal affiliation agreement for cancer care and research, with the overall goal of enhancing the quality of care for cancer patients in western North Carolina, including providing access to new therapies and innovative research programs under development at UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center and the N.C. Cancer Hospital.
Initial programs under the agreement include improving community screening for earlier diagnosis and prevention of lung cancer through the efforts of oncology nurse navigators, participation in UNC's statewide cancer telemedicine network, and offering access to research projects and new treatments developed at UNC Lineberger.
Rex Healthcare, a private not-for-profit system, was founded in 1894. It is a member of the UNC Health Care System, a not-for-profit integrated health care system, and has more than 4,400 co-workers. Its main Rex Hospital campus in west Raleigh is a 665-bed facility (433 general acute beds, 6 inpatient hospice and 226 skilled nursing) treating more than 34,000 inpatients each year.